150 Newhall Street, The Jewellery Quarter, Birmingham B3 1RY
The Queens Arms is a Grade II listed 19th Century pub known for its magnificent art nouveau style tiled design on the curved corner of Newhall Street and Charlotte Street.
The sign celebrates the brewery Mitchells and Butlers winning a gold medal for the quality of their ales and stouts at the Paris Exhibition of 1889. It features the lettering “MITCHELLS AND BUTLERS GOLD MEDAL ALES” plus a scroll with two medals “EXPOSITION UNIVERSELLE” and “MITCHELL & CO”.
Above this, a similar design features the pub name and a crown symbol, which is an early trademark of M&B. Although no longer part of Mitchells and Butlers we aim to make our ales worth an award or two. A trip to Paris would be nice as well.
On 14 July 1877 the foundation stone was laid at the new Birmingham Assay Office opposite the Queens Arms on Newhall Street, was finally opened June 24th 1878, and we’ve been serving their thirsty employees ever since.
The history of The Queens Arms
An elegant 19th Century public house with lavish external detail resulting from a 1901 remodelling, and reflecting the attempt to improve both the image and levels of comfort of public houses in Birmingham promoted by the city's brewers and licensing magistrates in the late C19.
Art nouveau style tilework
Two oriel feature windows with M&B etching
Original interior moulded cornice plasterwork
Original plans of 1901 refurbishment displayed inside